Herbs, Spice & All Things Niceposted health & wellbeing and tagged immune support, herbs, spices, immunity, health on agosto 7, 2015.
It's the last month of Winter and you may have suffered from a few colds or flus throughout the cooler seasons. With the countdown on until Spring, nobody wants to have a compromised immune system haunting them long after we've thrown our woollens to the back of the wardrobe. So if you need to kick that cold or rebuild immunity, try some of these herbs and spices to get fighting fit in time to enjoy the warm weather! Centennial Health nutritionist Ali Deer shares her favourites:
- Honeysuckle & Chrysanthemum: good antivirals
- Artemisia: antimalarial
- Andrographis, aka “King of Bitters”: antiviral, helps modulate inflammatory response
- Licorice: buffers the inflammatory response by increasing steroid output by the adrenal glands; a good buffer if your immune system is over responding to the flu
- Turmeric: general immune system booster due to its high antioxidant capacity, and an anticancer agent as well; turmeric is 5 to 8 times stronger than vitamins C and E
- Black Pepper: increases the bioavailability of just about all other foods, herbs and other things
- Cinnamon: powerful antimicrobial agent—found to kill E. coli and many other bacteria; also has anti-inflammatory compounds
- Cloves: Contains eugenol; its mild anaesthetic benefits are useful for toothaches and sore throats; good anti-inflammatory (and a good reason for a proper chai tea!!)
Product Spotlight on Raw cold & flu relief - the easy way to get your dose of Andrographis!
The Amazonia Raw cold & flu relief spray is a herbal formula designed with ingredients that may assist with chest and sinus congestion symptoms. Andrographis may help to relieve the symptoms and reduce severity of colds, can be used as supportive therapy in the management of mild upper respiratory tract infections and may assist in the management of colds and flu. Andrographis is also used in Traditional Chinese & Ayurvedic herbal medicine to help maintain a healthy immune system.